Checklist available at end of post! Diplomas printed just from a Google search. Masks were donated.
The small glue sticks were from Dollar Tree. Gloves, gowns, and masks were donated by our local clinic! We kept them in relatively good shape so we can use next year. The hand sanitizer and bandaids were just from our first aid kit --- all placed on cookie sheets from my house.
Here's another look at some of our supplies.
Students came in and received a gown and doctor badge. You can download my doctor badges here - I created unique titles for all my students based on their interest and just used pictures we had from earlier in the year.
I had all the surgeries laid out on the back table with the supplies needed for each. We had 3 "operating rooms" with the students working in groups.
These were just Dollar Tree table cloths!! Really cheap. I had the students divided into groups on the board and we took our "hippocratic" oath and got our pre-op instructions before we got started .
They set off to work and I monitored the rotations to make sure the groups all weren't doing the same one. I bounced between surgeries and they had to get their score/check off before moving on to the next one. I had answer keys ready and if they made more than 5 errors they had to stop look it over and fix it. I also had to make sure that each team member was working - which was tough for a couple of my kids.
It might not look like much but those 9 surgeries involved:
1. suturing vocab words to defintions
2. stapling figurative language words, definitions, and examples
3. using noodles to punctuate dialogue
4. color coding parts of speech
5. blood typing ordering adjectives
and more !!
Check out these 2 documents for planning!
I kept all the envelopes for next year and copies to make sure we can do it again. I had such a great day and the kids had a blast. It took us about 3 hours to complete all the surgeries.