FYFF- Luckeyfrog's Lilypad!

I'm so excited for our guest blogger this week!  I have read her blog and have gotten so much advice!  Especially for first year teachers!  She even had a fabulous series!

Luckeyfrog's Lilypad
This week Jenny from Luckeyfrog's Lilypad has tips for you!




Introduction:

Hi! I'm teaching 3rd grade this year. Last year I taught 2nd in my own classroom after two years as an interventionist. Science is my favorite subject to teach, and I love integrating science and social studies across the curriculum!

Best Tip for Management:

An amazing teacher once told me that the best classroom management plan is a great lesson plan, and I completely agree. If kids are engaged and they have something to focus on doing at all times, it leaves very little room for misbehavior.

But that's not enough on its own!

I also think it's important to be consistent, but also to give kids a chance to redeem themselves after misbehavior. You don't want a kid to get to 'red' and then give up for the day. I really like the clip chart for this, but there are plenty of ways to do it!
 
Must Have School Supply:

Chart paper! I couldn't teach without anchor charts.
 
Blogs I follow (and you might want to as well ;)

 
Sunny Days in Second Grade

3rd Grade Thoughts 

Fun in Room 4B

How to stay organized?

Staying organized is my biggest challenge, but I use a teacher binder and a customized lesson plan format to keep myself organized. My lesson plan pages save me SO much time, and the teacher binder helps me keep important things out of piles and easy to take with me.

Stress Management Advice:
Don't be afraid of a schedule that will help you plan and copy some things ahead of time. For instance, my homework follows the same basic format each week, so it's easy for me to plan and copy it weeks in advance and save myself some stress later!
Interview Tip:

Research the school's website beforehand. Look for ways that your experience can match the things they already do and the challenges they already have, and practice weaving these into your answers. (I like to do this out loud in the car on the way there.) This can also help you come up with questions to ask at the end of the interview, too, and show that you have a real interest in THEIR school, not just any job!
 
Advice for first year of Teaching:

I wish I knew it was okay to rely on a schedule and not have EVERY lesson be an all-star. Routine is okay, as long as the routine activities are good ones, and it will give you enough time and energy to do the amazing lessons once in awhile.
 
Thanks for the amazing advice Jenny!
You can find more of Jenny by checking out her links below:
store: http://teacherspayteachers.com/store/luckeyfrog

*She has some GREAT FREEBIES at her store!
facebook: http://facebook.com/luckeyfrogslilypad

* She just wrote a great post about how to set up your own FB page :)
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I started my own FB page and am looking for friends if you want you can follow me here!
 
Don't forget to check out this awesome freebie collection! Happy Birthday TBA!
 
 


No comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top alt-text