Treasure Rocks(!)

I'm super excited about the Treasure Rocks my older students made for Pre-K! They are awesome and I know they are going to love them, but it had just been one of those mentally/emotionally exhausting days.  Anyone else have those days that go from excellent to barely getting by in a matter of a few hours?!

How does it happen?  Nothing truly awful happened and for that I'm thankful but I'm crashing and my mind is spinning and doesn't know what to make of everything.  Thank goodness tomorrow is another day!!

Okay so after listening to my rant, I'm sure you are ready for some scienc-y goodness!

So without further ado.........I bring you..........TREASURE ROCKS!
(They are as awesome as they sound)



Materials: 

1 cup coffee grounds
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup sand
1 cup flour
3/4 cup water
small trinkets/prizes (we used leftover carnival prizes)




Steps: 

Mix all the ingredients together! If dough is too sticky add some extra flour.



Grab a ball of dough and put a prize inside and close it up! 

Bake at 150 degrees for 2 hours (flipping at one hour)

You can let air dry for a couple days and then.....





YOU ARE READY TO CRACK THEM OPEN!

Check back soon for part II- cracking ours open!



I got my recipe here: http://www.playcreateexplore.com/2010/09/make-your-own-dinosaur-egg-or-treasure.html



2 comments

  1. That's a great idea!! I would love to try that with my students this year! Thanks for sharing. :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I am ready to see part 2! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top alt-text