Volcano Time!!!

So....after subbing Friday and watching how excited the kids got for volcanoes...I was reminded of a similar experiment we did in camp last year and can I say I love our twist on it.

We did the normal volcano using a water bottle and vinegar and baking soda, but that just overflowed really and knowing our kids ( and who am I kidding, myself included) I wanted something bigger! Disclaimer: We had to use imaginations for volcanoes since clay was nowhere to be found.  So what did I come up? Well I found our gnat trap aka a large baby food jar with a small hole in it! PERFECTO!! (The more pressure...the higher it goes)


Look at that thing- its a Beaut!!!! It went so high- needless to say the kids were amazed.  It did make a little bit of a mess but it was worth it if you ask me because you get so much more of a reaction.  The measurements really don't matter as long as you have enough of both to make it work.  Anything with a small hole makes it go REALLY high!!



See what I mean about the mess...I made sure to tell the kiddos to back up before we tried each time!

One of my favorite things about science is the questioning.  The kids always have suggesting for what we could do or change and I LOVE IT!!! We use their suggestions and to modify the experiments and then we think about the results!  They ask, "What if we add this?" of "What if you did this?" and if we have time, we try it- I think it's one of the best ways to learn.

Click the picture below for a freebie to go along with your volcano activity!







Let me know what you think!  


GO check out some more  awesome newbie blogs!! 






2 comments

  1. That looks like so much fun! I just found you through the newbie linky. =)

    Mrs Poland
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber! I found you through the newbie link too! And that looks like a fun volcano experiment! :)

    Molly
    Lessons with Laughter

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Back to Top alt-text